We try to do the decent thing; tea is a natural product and that means it shouldn't be adulterated by anything nasty (including attitudes).
Our green credentials in a nutshell…
The Rainforest Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behaviour.
We are working with the tea estates from which we source, to put the little green frog on every pack we sell. At the moment our english breakfast (everyday brew) blend has Rainforest Alliance certification.
For more info, visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/
Our tea temples are made from biodegradable corn starch. The material was developed in Japan and has the green "pla" mark which is an endorsement by the Japanese bioplastics association.
Our packaging is fully recyclable, and the cardboard used to make the packaging is FSC certified. FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) is an organisation which promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world's forests.
And not only do we print on sustainable board, but this one last flashy logo tells you that the ink we use to make our packs pretty is vegetable-based.
Other activities which may not save the world overnight, but will all help in the long run....
- We reuse our cardboard packing cases to post out our online orders - reusing is always better than recycling.
- We recycle all our milk cartons, soup tins, jars etc.
- Despite all the tea drinking that goes on in our office, we are always careful not to overfill the kettle each time; however, our mission to find the perfect eco kettle is ongoing ...
- We always buy one big pack of biscuits, rather than two small ones, to save on packaging (not just because we're greedy piggies).
- We cycle, walk or jog to work as much as possible; some of us manage 5 times per week, some just the once, but it all helps.