If you're looking for a tasty new vegetarian meal to add to your repertoire, then you're going to want to give our gorgeous shiitake, pack choi and matcha stir-fry a try! One of our most loved midweek dinners, perfect for when we're in need of something quick and super tasty. It's vegan friendly too, making it a fab meat free Monday option.
FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE:
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp matcha powder
FOR THE STIR-FRY:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4cm (1½ inch) piece of fresh root
- ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 125g (4½oz) shiitake mushrooms
- 3 bulbs pak choi, chopped
- steamed brown rice, to serve
How to make:
- Make the teriyaki sauce by combining all the ingredients for the sauce, stirring well so there are no lumps of matcha powde (top tip: whisk the matcha into a small amount of water first to make this easier!)
- Place a large wok or deep frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil, and when the pan is hot, stir-fry the ginger and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes, then add the spring onions and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, then add the teriyaki sauce and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Finally add the pak choi and toss in the hot wok for about 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and serve with steamed brown rice.
If you give this a try, be sure to share your creation with us on Instagram (@teapigsca).