Why use coffee when you could use tea?! Especially when you could use chocolate flake tea and matcha! Impress your friends this festive season with our delicious matcha, chocolate & ginger tiramisu recipe - it makes the perfect dinner party dessert.
what you’ll need (serves 6-8):
- 150ml (5fl oz) water
- 4 chocolate flake tea temples (or other chocolate whole leaf mesh tea bags)
- 250g (9oz) plain sponge or chocolate cake (you can either make your own, or use a shop bought one... we won't tell!)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 500g (1lb 2oz) mascarpone
- 1 knob stem ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- Cocoa powder
1. Pour the measured water into a small pan and bring to the boil. Pop in the chocolate tea temples (or whole leaf mesh bags, if using), then remove the pan from the heat and leave to infuse for 15 minutes, then squeeze out the tea temples and transfer the liquid into a shallow dish.
2. Cut the cake into 8 x 2cm (3¼ x ¾in) long fingers. Dip each finger into the tea mixture, then use these to line a dish, evenly pouring over any remaining tea.
3. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla until light, then beat in a little of the mascarpone and then beat in the rest with the chopped stem ginger.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Beat one-third of the whites into the mascarpone mixture and then gently fold in the rest. Spoon this mixture over the soaked cake in the dish.
5. Dust with cocoa, sprinkle with a little matcha powder, cover and set aside in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Don't forget to tag us in the final piece too - @teapigsca!